Top Doorslammer in for a Rude shock

This article brought to you by:

Next weekend’s Top Fuel Pro Series event at the Perth Motorplex will see the debut of Shane Catalano’s striking new Top Doorslammer “Rude Stude” as he joins the growing armada of wicked blown alcohol racers on the West Coast.

Most will recognise the Catalano name from Shane’s father Lindsay and his flamboyant pink Charger that he campaigned across the country in Supercharged Outlaws. Shane himself has been running a sinful blown Valiant ute in Super Sedan locally at the Motorplex as the Studebaker build progressed in the background.

The Studebaker was imported from the US and needed substantial work before it would be able to return to the track

“I bought the car three and a half years ago from a guy by the name of Mark Mitchell Jr in New York state which he ran in IHRA Pro Mod automatic,” said Catalano

“The car was built by G Force Race Cars and was set up for a Chev and Glide.”

“We gave the car a bare chassis rebuild, we had to move the steering and throttle back, change to a hand brake and fit a clutch pedal. The body was a little worse for wear, but Dad (Lindsay, jack of all trades) did a great job of repairing the body and painting the whole car.”

The intention was for Catalano to tip toe into the nuances of Doorslammer racing but decided to jump in with both feet as the build advanced.

“Originally I was going to run the car in Outlaws and I bought it due to it having a legal body. We had run 6.40s in dad’s Charger which weighs over 3000lbs but neither of us wanted to slow a car down,” he said.

“As the build went on I bought a later model engine, blower, fuel pump, Pro Mag, etc, as you do, so about 12 months ago I decided to give slammer a go.

“This season I will be running one of our old engines and blowers to get a handle on the car and driving it, then try to step it up next season.

Specifications:

1953 Studebaker Champion
Built by G Force Racecars
Engine – 511 TFX, 206D PSI supercharger, PSI injector, Waterman fuel pump, fuel system by owner, Pro Mag 44
Powertrain – 10.7″ AFT clutch, B&J 3 speed, G Force sheetmetal diff housing, Strange 9.5″ ultra center.
All rebuild work for Top Doorslammer completed by Shane and Lindsay Catalano (Catalano Family Racing)

© Drag News Australia

Aeroflow Performance Parts Catalogue
FREE DOWNLOAD

Drag News Magazine