fbpx

Don't miss a thing from Drag News Magazine.

Email Address

Brought to you by

Forgot password? | Forgot username?

Teaching an 8YO to drive a JD???

Teaching an 8YO to drive a JD???

I just wondering how other people have taught their kids to drive a JD, especially when they are only 8 and haven't driven anything before. Is it easier to put them in a go cart to get some driver skills?

My son is 8 and has a JD, but I have been trying to think of the best way to teach him to drive it.
Bit hard when I can't sit beside him and coach him like normally teaching someone to drive.

Administrator has disabled public posting. Please login or register in order to proceed.

Re: Teaching an 8YO to drive a JD???

Can't say I've done it before but perhaps starting by just pushing them around in the car to get a sense of the steering, telling them to use the brakes to stop it and so on and make sure they are really clear on how both work. Do some pretend runs with the car off by getting them to push the accelerator then when they go through the 'finish line' get him to get on to the brake and steer on to the 'return road'.
Does he play racing games? He may have a basic idea of accelerating and braking but it is going to be a lot different in the real world!
I guess just start small and go step by step. Perhaps do a lot of this with him wearing all the safety gear as well, so that he doesn't get freaked out when he first hits the track and he has the helmet pressing down, gloves making it feel different and so on.

I'm sure there are a few ex-JD racers on here who may be able to tell you how they were taught.

ANDRA #2702

Administrator has disabled public posting. Please login or register in order to proceed.

Thanks.
I've been thinking hows the best for a while and I was thinking along those lines. Even thought about a remote control kill switch, just in case. When I do get him used to stopping and steering, I'll back the engine right down before he actually test drives.

I'm interested in hearing from other parents that have been through the same thing. Or even JD racers on how they learnt.

You still out Roma way Sandman? If so we will be up there for the 1/8 mile series in a few weeks come and say g'day and we will have a chat about how we approached it. I have put both of my kids through the early stages of racing both starting at 8.

Cheers Rod
Oberg Family Racing.

Yeh Rod. Still here for a while longer. Are you bringing your JD's out for Easter.

When you are trying to teach any one new
Sit them in the car and go through every aspect of the car AND the run
Start with the brake, then the throttle, the kill switch (make sure they understand that if they are not happy with something) (TURN IT OFF) and do not get mad with them if they do.
Tell them the start prouder (how they need to hold the brake on until you tell them to move)
Every aspect of the whole run, then get them to tell you how it will be done.
That way the commutation problem is found out before it is too late
Do not assume the poor kid knows it all (he or she will be nervous enough with out trying to here what you yelling at them.
I have run my 3 young ones through and they knew what to do before the car even started

Thanks. Must be a handful having 3 running.

JOe Prinici who runs the J&C Mowers teams in Sydney and has had many drivers pass through his team, (pretty sure he had first JD's in the country way back when), would be good to talk too, but he also utilises a neat remote shut off system as well for the new comers.

National Drag Racing Photographer
Drag News Magazine Photojournalist
www.cacklingpipes.com
www.dragnews.com.au

Thanks Grant

We thought about coming up for the Easter meet but we have already raced twice this month at Willowbank and Warwick and we have three races scheduled next month(Warwick, Willowbank and Roma) so the budget will only stretch so far.We will be out there for the 1/8 mile series on the 27th of April.

Cheers Rod.

I got my son behind the wheel of a hire go cart first. That way he got to learn the basics of driving, braking and accel etc first. This way we both got comfortable of his abilities behind the wheel before I put him in the JD. Good Luck you'll both have a ball.

I remember Dad teaching me how to drive our JD - we started by rolling the car down the driveway and learning the brakes, after this he taught us how to steer it by pushing us around a empty car park at the local high school, and finally I learnt how to use the throttle going up the driveway (baby steps at first). Was great fun and very nerve racking at the age of 11. We (mostly Dad) built our JD back in 1990/91, in Queanbeyan NSW. At the first major JD event at Calder Park Nationals in 92 we raced against only a handful of JD's - Scott Betts, Jason Maggs, Ben Zelukovic and a few others. We qualified about 3rd I think running mid 16 seconds over the 1/8 th. Scott Betts top qualified running in the 13 second zone (he was way ahead of the rest!) I am amazed at how fast JD's are these days. We bought our first engine from the local lawnmower shop (5HP - as per the rules), we ditched the muffler, made a exhaust pipe for it and estimated we were making close to 6 HP!!! Great times, working with Dad in the shed and learning so many life skills... Dan Konkoly AMD 1801 - 632 Spitzer.

Amd 1801

There are 0 guests and 0 other users also viewing this topic

Board Info

Board Stats

Total Topics:
Total Polls:
Total Posts:
Posts today:
User Info

Total Users:
Newest User:
serhio777
Members Online: