FIRST LOOK – Kelvin Lyle’s Ford Mustang Top Doorslammer

This article brought to you by:

11221468 836901326431604 39304177001483279 n

Western Australian drag racer Kelvin Lyle will be moving into the professional Top Doorslammer ranks this season, importing a Ford Mustang from America to drive.

Assisting in the shift will be an alliance with class frontrunner John Zappia, providing Lyle with a headstart on being competitive.

“The car was only built in May last year and we’ve done a deal with Zappia Racing where he is doing the motor, gearbox and tune,” he said.

“I would say we are looking at being out just after Christmas. We are just waiting on engine parts and a new PSI (supercharger).”

Lyle said the arrangement with Zappia has given him confidence they will be on the pace. Much of their gear will be similar though Lyle will have the latest NRE block and manifold.

“Hopefully with his backing, instead of trying to get somewhere in five years we should get somewhere a lot quicker,” he said.

Top Doorslammer has been on Lyle’s agenda for some time, as has this car. He missed out on buying it once but wasn’t unlucky the second time it came up for sale.

“I probably have been looking for (a car for) the last couple of years. Everyone wants to go faster and this is a good opportunity.

“Outlaws it is a really good class on a budget but now we are going faster than 6.5 and we are sort of stuck, myself and my crew hate slowing it down.”

{fcomment}

Aeroflow Performance Parts Catalogue
FREE DOWNLOAD

Drag News Magazine