US driver Jason Rich to line up for Portland

This article brought to you by:

jasonrich-dragster-workshop.jpg

Accomplished American sportsman racer Jason Rich invades Australia this week to take on the best Aussie Modified drivers in the Summit Racing Equipment Sportsman Series.

Rich, from Cookeville Tennessee, will first race at South Coast Raceway in Portland this weekend followed by the Australian Nationals at Calder Park January 23-24.

A multi event winner with over $100,000 in prize winnings, Rich will pilot a custom wrapped Modified dragster, which was a surprise to Rich on his arrival, acquired by Shane Wynd (Ringwood, VIC) especially for the ex-US Marine’s two week stay. The dragster and trailer will then both be for sale immediately following the Nationals.

“When Shane showed me (the dragster) I was like, wow!” said Rich.

“(I said) man, you did this for me? I coudln’t believe it, I was speecheless at first and didn’t really know what to say.”

Wynd and Rich met in Bristol, Tennessee at the 2015 Spring Fling when the Aussie asked to borrow a hammer and pitch his tent for the week. The two got to talking and immediately forged a friendship.

“We started talking and I could tell we share the same passion for drag racing – that (Wynd) had travelled all the way from Australia to come to the race and hope to get to race there,” explained Rich.

“I introduced him to the race promoters, they interviewed him over the PA system and they found him a ride for one of the races. He could not believe it, it was a dream come true for Shane.

“We hung out all weekend talking and sharing stories about our racing adventures.

“I told him I thought Australia would be a cool country to visit. He said ‘well come on mate we’ll make it happen’.

“So eight months later he has. I’m going to Australia and getting to race two events.”

Rich figures to be competitive in the double header despite a strong contingent of Aussie racers searching for points.

He would love to add an ANDRA Christmas Tree to his collection but he is really looking forward to meeting Aussie drag racers and sharing more stories.

“I have never visited Australia but have always wanted to.

“You guys don’t get to race as much as we do. We have events every weekend all over the country from local tracks to national or divisional events. Shane was real jealous of that.

“What am I looking forward to the most? Meeting other people that share the same passion as I do about drag racing on the other side of the planet.

“I’m looking forward to meeting Aussie bracket racers and sharing our knowledge.”

{fcomment}

Aeroflow Performance Parts Catalogue
FREE DOWNLOAD

Drag News Magazine