Hinkley gets a handle on new Kawasaki

This article brought to you by:

12765635_10153473678426365_1711877106_o.jpg

Tony Hinkley looks to have overcome a troubled start for his new Kawasaki ZX14R Pro Bike ahead of this weekend’s 400 Thunder championship round as part of Coates Hire West Coast Nitro.

Hinkley tested on Wednesday at Perth Motorplex and ran a new personal best time of 7.72 seconds on his first full pass with the machine.

The Western Australian rider has competed in Pro Bike before with another team, but said having his own bike makes this more like a true rookie season as he and his own team sort out a few teething issues.

“We have had a few issue with the front end of the bike, like horror shudder under brakes and what appeared to be flex in the front end,” he said. “My first thought was a failed wheel bearing after a venture into the sand (at the end of the braking area), which also bent the forks.

“I stripped the bike and Clyde at Bravo Resources has put some strength into the front end.”

The team put together some solid runs in testing, giving Hinkley a good baseline to work with as he enters qualifying on Friday night.

“We have backed the tune up off a bit until I am comfortable and get at least a few good runs in then we will step it up slowly,” he said.

“The fans should expect some good close racing from the main contenders, the current national champion Maurice Allen, this year’s points leader Scott White and local young gun Ryan Learmonth. Add in Glenn Wooster who is a good racer and has run fast in the past and I am sure we will see some 7.2 second side by side passes – and maybe on the good Motorplex track some will dip into the teens.”

Pro Bike will be joined by Top Fuel and Pro Alcohol championship rounds as well as the full complement of local sportsman brackets and a bonus Pro Slammer exhibition.

{fcomment}

Aeroflow Performance Parts Catalogue
FREE DOWNLOAD

Drag News Magazine