Peter Datson still supercharged over Nationals win

This article brought to you by:

PeterDatson-AustralianNationals2016-grantstephens-web

Whyalla’s Peter Datson is still on cloud nine following his Australian Nationals win at Calder Park Raceway back in January with the Summit Racing Equipment Sportsman Series to visit his hometown in two weeks.

At the Nationals, the supercharged Camaro driver won his very first ANDRA Gold Christmas Tree in 20 years of racing defeating Murray Edgar in the final for a landmark victory he is still enjoying a month later.

“Yes I am still pretty excited about the Nationals win,” said Datson.

“I caught up with my engine builder Con from Competition Automotive a couple weeks after in Adelaide and he still had a grin from ear to ear as the rest of my crew when I saw them a while after.

“It felt unreal to get the win, never thought it would turn out to be such a great weekend.

“I think we took the win due to a few factors. The car has always been real consistent – almost like a bracket car at previous meetings – but the Powerglide trans would usually cause us dramas.

“I was about to give up on the glide and go convertor drive Lenco but Darren Finn was determined to get the ‘glide sorted to run mid six second passes and so far it looks like he’s on top of it with a couple of meets trouble free.

“I think driving played a part too with pretty average reaction times in qualifying but as soon as it came to racing they just seem to get a lot better and I think I out reacted everyone I raced.

“Chuck a bit of luck in there with that and the awesome work the crew put in and I guess that’s what won it.”

In just two weeks, the Summit Racing Equipment Sportsman Series presented by Whyalla City Council on March 12-13 will give Datson the opportunity to follow up his win with another in front of his hometown support.

The historic event will be the first time ever a National drag racing series has visited Whyalla.

“It’s good the Series is going to be at Steel City Raceway. The guys there have put in so much work at the track doing upgrades, it’s now an awesome little eighth-mile facility and the crowd can expect some top class racing.

“As for myself I will be out there trying to reset my personal best time I set there at the Supercharged Shootout last year.

“The Pure Nassty team plan on running Whyalla and Adelaide at the Grand Final in April. Then we may have a rest for a short time and have a crack at doing more of the Championship rounds next season – hopefully to be in a good position to have a go at winning the Championship.

The Summit Racing Equipment Sportsman Series presented by Whyalla City Council rolls into town March 12-13. The event will be the penultimate round of the 2015/2016 Season before the Grand Final at Adelaide International Raceway April 9-10.

For more information please visit www.steelcitydrags.com

Aeroflow Performance Parts Catalogue
FREE DOWNLOAD

Drag News Magazine