Mikey Naylor following in his brother’s footsteps

This article brought to you by:

MichaelNaylor-GrandFInal2016-bobtaylor-web

Michael Naylor is the latest Summit Racing Equipment Junior Dragster Champion following his runner up to former Junior champ and brother Brayden Naylor at the ANDRA Championship Grand Final.

Naylor came into the Grand Final on the maximum 300 points but anyone of seven drivers could take the title.

While Michael focussed on winning his rounds, brother Brayden was busy blocking on his behalf eliminating Tim Baker, Natalie Bishop and Kelly Donnelly from contention.

When Donnelly went out in the semi final, Michael cruised to a solo victory lap for the Championship before facing his brother in the final. Brayden would win his last race as a Junior but Michael didn’t mind, he was now a Champion.

“It couldn’t have been planned any better to race Brayden in the final for so many reasons,” said Michael.

“I got to be part of his last ever race, I got to race him for an ANDRA Christmas Tree and I knew no matter what we’d be the first to congratulate each other at the end of the track.

“It was weird really. I was driving his old car in his final race and there was the added bonus of the ANDRA Christmas tree on offer. I think I let my guard down a little as he’s probably the best Junior Dragster racer I’ve ever seen and I had taken over from him! Basically as he said later ‘I got chopped.’”

Travelling from Perth, the 2015/2016 Summit Racing Equipment Sportsman Series was a gruelling test but with the full support of the Naylor family, he was able to win when it counted.

“The racing at every round of the Summit Series was unbelievable with so much at stake.

“After the first round the championship was chaos for us coming from Perth. We had to make big calls as to what to do. We sacrificed so much to contend the Championship but the other racers; teams, tracks and officials were awesome.

“They all seemed to make us fit in and helped so much. We raced them for points one day then went to dinner that night or played soccer with some of the rents (parents).

“On the track they all deserved respect with everyone being the best. New South Wales, Victoria, South Australia, Queensland and then just three teams from WA. The racing seemed a lot tougher than home but the kids just all respected each other like I’ve never seen before.

“Dad reckoned he had a plan for AIR! I just asked him and he said it’s a secret because it worked! All the racers, every single team made it awesome. Some weren’t in the championship but gee they raced us hard and some win margins were silly close. We stared at each other across the finish line so many times!

“I’d like to thank Dave Dequen from Dave’s Automotive, Jaydee Dack from Illusions Vinyl Wraps and Graphics, our Nanna, David Walter, Brett Cable and David Murray. Also my Family.”

Aeroflow Performance Parts Catalogue
FREE DOWNLOAD

Drag News Magazine