FIFO with go – Victoria’s Benny Phillips does Darwin

This article brought to you by:

2016-HVDS-Track-Championship-Round-3-31b.jpg

Benny Phillips is one of the many FIFO workers in Darwin, far away from his home in Victoria. But he has taken advantage of his work situation this year by bringing his Holden Torana with him to go racing at Hidden Valley Drag Strip.

Phillips competes in the Top Sportsman class and has now reached two final rounds in a row, earning a runner up at Nitro Up North and a win at round three of the Track Championship.

“I went out quite hungry for the event win (at the Track Championship) after breaking out (going under his nominated handicap) in the final at the Nitro Up North event,” he said.

“We only had one good qualifying pass to go off so we had to be sharp with our dial in. Each race it all came together with the car and the driver and we managed to win all three early rounds and end up in the final.”

After a close final round confrontation with Grant Radcliffe, Phillips had to wait for his pit crew to arrive to let him know he has scored the victory.

“When I got out of the car I was dying to know if we got the win,” he said. “It was a great feeling to dedicate my win to friend who passed away recently.

“The event was great with no problems, all we had to do was top the fuel up. Me and my pit crew were able to sit back, relax and enjoy.”

Phillips will be competing in the remaining three rounds of the Track Championship, the next of which takes place at this weekend’s NT Titles.

“I love Hidden Valley, I’m very excited to race the next three rounds before I tow car home in October and hopefully I can take the Top Sportsman Championship with me!”

Racing at the NT Titles will commence from 6.30pm and features not only round four of the Track Championship but also Rory Taylor’s 400kmh, 3500 horsepower Nitro Thunder Funny Car making exhibition passes throughout the event.

Aeroflow Performance Parts Catalogue
FREE DOWNLOAD

Drag News Magazine