fbpx

Don't miss a thing from Drag News Magazine.

Email Address

Brought to you by

Forgot password? | Forgot username?

Junior Dragster Entry Levels @ Willowbank

Junior Dragster Entry Levels @ Willowbank

All Junior Dragster Families,

Below is an email I have sent to Steve Bettes on a possible suggestion to try and help grow the junior dragster bracket in South East Quensland again. I am looking for feedback from the junior dragster families on whether this is something they may be looking for. There is no point in the track introducing this if it is not what people want. So please post feedback so it can be followed up if it is what people want or even come up with more constructive suggestions. It would be a shame to see the future generation of drag racing disappear from the sport.

Regards Rod.

Steve,
Having a look around at the last Bracket Event I was disappointed in the fact that there was only 13 junior dragsters. This is the second time this year we have had 13 cars when we used to have 30. I am feeling that the entry fees are a major reason for the brackets decline as the most notable teams missing are the multiple car teams. $140 dollars is a lot of money but when having more than one car $280 or even $420 in some cases is just too much money to take your kids out to race. Another group that are struggling are those that have race cars as well as their kids in junior so again the extra entry fee is really hurting. If we didn't have Qld Nameplate Group sponsoring my boys we would probably not be running all of them either.

With this being said I propose that some thought should be put back into reintroducing the juniors to the street series. We could still run the track championship for the pot of gold, free entry and the glory of winning a track championship for those that are serious and want to chase it like ourselves. But at the street meets they would be running for a trophy only with no series points allocated or prizes at the end of the year. It could also be run as chicago shootout with the same rules as the eight mile series to give the new comers and 11.90 cars a chance to DYO race whether they win or lose. This way those that want to have fun with their kids in this sport can go and race for $45 per car instead of $140 and maybe we might have a chance to grow the class again. Consider it the entry level type deal for the kids with no publicity for the winners just a chance to go race on a budget. I can only see this benefiting the class, the tracks income at street meets and would also be seen as the track doing something for the juniors all without costing anything but a few trophies.

I think it would be worth putting out there for feedback but I will leave it to you guys to have a think about do what you want with the idea.

Cheers Rod Oberg

Administrator has disabled public posting. Please login or register in order to proceed.

Re: Junior Dragster Entry Levels @ Willowbank

Junior Dragster's provide a valuable entry point to competition and as such I believe that as much incentive as possible be given for families to be able to turn up and race. The reality is that the costs of running a meeting continue to rise, but the revenue stream to the tracks from paying spectators is declining and hence the conundrum with entry fees.

Personally I feel that there should only be a minor fee imposed on these JD pilots as they will make up the future of our great sport. Maybe we should have a levy to support the growth of the sport from the grass roots up? This would not be like the much opposed TV levy, but perhaps a few bucks extra entry fee from all racers added to each event that could go to a junior sport development fund that could include reductions in entry fees for Junior racers or some other brackets?

Alternatively is there a government sports grant for development of JD that could assist?

Andra Media Accreditation : Go9

Administrator has disabled public posting. Please login or register in order to proceed.

I'm with Rod, the track championship(bracket meet) rounds are far to expensive, all fields have half the entires they used to have and pro streetbike/crazy 8's has gone the way of the dodo and to suggest another levy to support one catagory is absolutley ridiculous. We all understand the tracks are hurting due to rainouts and lower spectator numbers, but FFS, us competitors are sick to death of being slugged in the back pocket to enter meetings and to say they are helping us out with prize money, what they offer is an insult, it costs me more in race fuel for the meeting, than what they offer for prize money! If the tracks want to attract more racers, they need to either lower the entry fee, or offer decent prize money and if the tracks can't fund it, why don't they actively search for bracket sponsors.

I deffinatley agree rod!

We would be happy to run some of your comments here www.juniordragster.com.au and we are always looking for content after meetings so feel free to send pics and news also For sale section.

juniordragster
Mike
useravatar
2 Posts
back up dude/gal
Male  Website 

Wow, be careful making comments on Junior Dragsters. I made a comment on dragster.com.au a year or so ago about running the Juniors at the Perth Motorplex Fast Friday street/sportsman events and only have the top 8 from a Fast Friday point score run at the 10 national events, because we have a problem in Perth of too many entrys (all classes) causing problems with pit space and the length of the show at the national events. The kids would also have a lot more races if they could get mum and dad motivated! Unfortunately I received a ton of abuse and even threats via PM from a few parents, even when I pointed out that with my idea, the kids would get twice the number of races per year at one third the cost of the normal national event entry fee. Its sad when some parents take this too far. I thought the class was about fun for the kids and an opportunity to learn, not about winning sheep stations.

Mike Lanigan wrote:

Wow, be careful making comments on Junior Dragsters. I made a comment on dragster.com.au a year or so ago about running the Juniors at the Perth Motorplex Fast Friday street/sportsman events and only have the top 8 from a Fast Friday point score run at the 10 national events, because we have a problem in Perth of too many entrys (all classes) causing problems with pit space and the length of the show at the national events. The kids would also have a lot more races if they could get mum and dad motivated! Unfortunately I received a ton of abuse and even threats via PM from a few parents, even when I pointed out that with my idea, the kids would get twice the number of races per year at one third the cost of the normal national event entry fee. Its sad when some parents take this too far. I thought the class was about fun for the kids and an opportunity to learn, not about winning sheep stations.

I like that idea Mike, it sort of like they are running their own series that way and I think would make it more interesting for them as well. Making it to the national events would be an achievement in itself, and then winning at a national event would be an even bigger accomplishment. Not to mention all the other advantages you mentioned.

Follow my Australian Drag Racing History pages:
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/AustralianDragRacingHistory
Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/ausdraghistory
https://igcdn-photos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpa1/t51.2885-19/s150x150/10932104_661024330700510_1831877871_a.jpg

Comments such as yours are constructive those who cry about it struggle to come up with ideas anyway.
Our site is here to help promote all good ideas and to give all the kids a place to show the  "fans" about their sport....

juniordragster
Mike
useravatar
2 Posts
back up dude/gal
Male  Website 

well the fast friday is a ridiculous idea if you're trying to save money! why because it's more expensive for a JD family to run at a fast friday than a national event! Point out to me where you can save money by running them and we'll do it! Why don't they run modified on fridays and everyone with an altered can run national meetings but dragsters only every second meeting. The numbers are not high at Perth anyway. Do some research and you will see that competitor numbers are decreasing. The space in the pit issue has come about by transporters and enclosed trailers. Juniors are a part of drag racing now and you have to accept it, They do have certain criteria that differ from other brackets but they are an ANDRA elliminator and deserve their place in the main game. JD racers don't come up with UNREALISTIC ideas for other brackets so don't if you aren't a JD racer come up with ideas for them that aren't viable. I have a modified car and 2 juniors. We have more invested in the juniors....FUTURE DRAG RACERS!!!!!!!!!

A couple of other points about running JD'S on a Friday. Fast Fridays wouldn't cope with 34 juniors, there are less  Fast Fridays to run at so I don't know how you would get more passes, They start later than a normal meeting. Most drivers go to school and to be prepared to race most people would not be able to get to the Fast Fridays. We supported the Fast Fridays and guess what, It's a logistical nightmare and too EXPENSIVE! We got into juniors with the idea of the kids having fun and they were always at the track when I raced anyway! The kids love being at the drags and racing with the "BIG" cars.

Mike Lanigan wrote:

even when I pointed out that with my idea, the kids would get twice the number of races per year at one third the cost of the normal national event entry fee

Hi Mike,

as others have pointed out you are wrong.  This season there are 6 Fast Friday events, JD's are running at 9 National Opens.  Fast Friday entry is $55 for Juniors, but only covers the driver so 3x Crew is another $63 making it $118 entry.  National Open entry for Juniors is $110 which includes driver plus 3 crew.

Last season we ran all 6 fast fridays, 8 national opens, and 3 test and tunes, which logistically is pretty hard between work & kids.  Alanah (9yo) came 3rd in both the fast fridays and Rookies series.  We ran a total of 81 passes for the season even making 4 finals rounds so IMO there is nowhere near enough racing as it is - we have friends in the USA who run 450-500 passes a season.  What WA needs is more racing ie Collie up and running (didn't they get their grant?) and an 1/8 mile series at Barbagello for a start.

At the motorplex pit space is no longer an issue with the expansion and there were many large gaps and deliberate slowdowns in the program for the last 2 seasons so I don't think there are really too many entries yet, and they can always go back to the 2 day National Open format before they consider dropping any brackets.  The JD's are mostly done by 6pm anyway so it's not like they really impact the program.

cheers

Simon

ANDRA member NWA383
Crew #2851

Simon Cope wrote:

Hi Mike,

as others have pointed out you are wrong.  This season there are 6 Fast Friday events, JD's are running at 9 National Opens.  Fast Friday entry is $55 for Juniors, but only covers the driver so 3x Crew is another $63 making it $118 entry.  National Open entry for Juniors is $110 which includes driver plus 3 crew.

Last season we ran all 6 fast fridays, 8 national opens, and 3 test and tunes, which logistically is pretty hard between work & kids.  Alanah (9yo) came 3rd in both the fast fridays and Rookies series.  We ran a total of 81 passes for the season even making 4 finals rounds so IMO there is nowhere near enough racing as it is - we have friends in the USA who run 450-500 passes a season.  What WA needs is more racing ie Collie up and running (didn't they get their grant?) and an 1/8 mile series at Barbagello for a start.

At the motorplex pit space is no longer an issue with the expansion and there were many large gaps and deliberate slowdowns in the program for the last 2 seasons so I don't think there are really too many entries yet, and they can always go back to the 2 day National Open format before they consider dropping any brackets.  The JD's are mostly done by 6pm anyway so it's not like they really impact the program.

cheers

Simon

Is there a like button on the forums????? Simon you must have done some research before you posted??????

Boys.... take it to the private forum area or pick up the phone and talk! This is not the place or the avenue to carry on like that.

Drag News Australia
Australia's fastest drag racing news and information source

Mike your comments and thoughts are always welcome mate, Just on this one you made a small mistake as its the reverse of what you thought. It's good to see newcomers like yourself with great ideas and input. Seeing new guys like you at the track is awesome because it means the sport is growing. Looking forward to catching up for that beer soon. Sorry for the confusion

There are 0 guests and 0 other users also viewing this topic

Board Info

Board Stats

Total Topics:
Total Polls:
Total Posts:
User Info

Total Users:
Newest User:
lexanZef
Members Online:
Guests Online: