Dream debut for Ben Bray’s Nissan Altima

This article brought to you by:

For Ben Bray the 2012 Brisbane Jamboree was a dream come true, taking delivery of Ness Racecraft chassis only four and half weeks ago, Ben, his crew and some loyal supporters had worked overtime just to get the car finished and ready for qualifying at the largest Hi-Tech drag racing and import car event in Australia.

Jumping into a new car with a smaller cubed engine, a turbo charger, a four speed gearbox, plus competing against the best racers in the country on your second full pass in the car was a big ask, but Benny did it, he qualified at Jamboree and pulled off the biggest upset in the history of Pro Compact to come away with a win.

When qualifying wrapped up on Saturday Ben was solid in the field in 2nd after recording 7.390@188.28. Round 1 got under way on Sunday with an air temp of almost 30 deg, however after some tuning adjustments Ben and his new Nissan Altima ran better and better with every pass finishing undefeated in the three round robin match ups. Ben felt the clutch slip in the lower gears during the third round so a new clutch was fitted before the final, Ben took the win light in the final with a PB 7.100 @196.64 and only 1.04 MPH short of Collin Willshire’s record of 197.68mph.

“If you had said to me on Tuesday night when we were in the workshop at midnight still trying to get the car finished so I could test it on Wednesday, I would have told you, you’re dreaming,” Ben said.

“My goal this weekend was to put down some good passes and get a handle on the setup. I only got to run one full powered pass before the weekend, a 7.49, that is a good time but in this sport you cannot take one run to the bank. As for winning the final that is a dream come true. Now I can’t wait for the Sydney Jamboree”.

The next outing for Team Bray will be in their burnout cars as part of the on track entertainment for the 50 year celebration at Mount Panorama Bathurst 4-7 October.

Aeroflow Performance Parts Catalogue
FREE DOWNLOAD

Drag News Magazine