Rapisarda chasing Cinderella glory at Indy

This article brought to you by:

TJDamien

RAPISARDA AUTOSPORT International will mount a two -car attack at the most prestigious event on the NHRA calendar the Chevrolet Performance U.S. Nationals at Indianapolis this weekend with West Australian Damien Harris to partner American Tommy Johnson Jnr.
“The time is right to put two cars on the track,” said team owner Santo Rapisarda. “Indy is the one meeting that all teams step up the pressure to win. For RAI and many of the Top Fuel teams Indy is our home- town track so there are bragging rights as top dog in town up for grabs as well. Running two cars will be a challenge but I sat down with my boys and we decided that we wanted to give it a go. Damien has come over with some crew members from Australia and we have also recruited some Americans to work on the team for the weekend.”

RAI Indy13

“I’m excited to be racing with the Rapisarda family again,” said Harris. “Since 2011 when I first raced on the NHRA I have harboured ambitions to return and to get a drive at the Nationals is a dream come true. It will also be good to race with Tommy again. Our first time as team- mates was at the Willowbank Winternationals in June but that got washed out. I crewed on Tommy’s car at the Sonoma and Seattle Mello Yello rounds last month and believe his experience at Indy going back almost 30 years ago will be invaluable to the team.”

rapisarda17-copyTeam owner Santo Rapidarda is pumped for Indy, entering two cars in Top Fuel for the event

For the affable Johnson the Nationals holds fond memories. “The first time I ever competed at Indy was 1984 in Super Gas and in Top Fuel I made my debut in 1990,” Johnson told Drag News Australia. “I have been number one qualifier at Indy twice in Funny Car (’99 & ’00) and was runner-up in 2003. Indy is not just another race. It is the grand- daddy of them all. Everything is the same as far as racing, but it is the feeling and the history that goes with Indy that makes it special. It is a tough week. Instead of the usual three- day format it’s a four -day show and we have five qualifying runs instead of four.”

santo--boys-jpgSanto and Santino will have there work cut out this weekend with two bullets to fire down the strip

“I’ve learned over the years that you have to pace yourself otherwise you can run out of energy and not be mentally prepared come race day on Monday. Indy has been a Cinderella story for many teams over the years. Guys can come out of nowhere to win. It would be great if Rapisarda Autosport International could be the “Indy Cinderella” story this year. To win Indy you can say you have won it all.

Aeroflow Performance Parts Catalogue
FREE DOWNLOAD

Drag News Magazine