Burnett burns it but ready for racing

This article brought to you by:

terryburnettdragnews

Western Australian Terry Burnett’s lead up to the opening round of the ANDRA Drag Racing Series in Top Fuel Motorcycle has been anything but smooth and we’ve got the pics to prove it.

In testing last weekend, Burnett’s motor had a bolt come loose in the bottom end, which got caught up in the camshafts and caused a dangerous nitro ‘hydraulic’, which lifted the cylinder head off the motor and was so explosive that it bent the top chassis rail of his nitro Harley.

burnettdamage1

Things did not look good immediately after the pass. Image by Scott Wilson.

But Burnett said he never considered missing this weekend.

“I always do whatever it takes to make it, even if we have to go 24 hours a day to get there I will do it,” he said.

“This is our only national points event for Top Fuel Motorcycle in Perth this season and I want to prove that last year’s win was not a fluke.”

Burnett worked together with Bravo Resources to rebuild the bike and estimates over 100 hours has been put in so far.

“Clyde Carstairs at Bravo has been amazing; the blow up did a horrendous amount of damage,” he said.

“The bike is mostly back together, we’ve still got to build the engine up as we are waiting for parts from the east coast, but we will be there, no matter what.”

burnettdamage2

This was the damage to the cylinder head, all as a result of a single bolt coming loose in the cylinder head. Image by Clyde Carstairs.

burnettdamage3

This was the cylinder head following repairs at Bravo Resources. Image by Clyde Carstairs.

Top Fuel Motorcycle has seen a return to strength for its opening round with ten teams to front the starter across two individual championship rounds over two nights.

Burnett said he was excited to see the big field set to race.

“This is the best race meeting Top Fuel Motorcycles have got in WA this year.,” he said. “I’m very very happy with the field. I’ve worked too hard all year not to be there.

“Our goals for this weekend – go rounds on both days and win them.”

Top Fuel and Top Fuel Motorcycle begin from 6pm on both Friday and Saturday nights.

The event also forms the second round of the Aeroflow Sportsman Drag Racing Championship.

{fcomment}

Aeroflow Performance Parts Catalogue
FREE DOWNLOAD

Drag News Magazine