Learmonth to live out pro dream

This article brought to you by:

Western Australian drag racer Ryan Learmonth will be making his professional debut this weekend at Adelaide International Raceway, competing in Pro Stock Motorcycle at the Fuchs Springnationals.

Learmonth said that is was the realisation of a long held goal.

“I am really excited about racing my first pro event, it has been a childhood dream to run in Pro Stock Motorcycle and it’s about to happen,” he said.

Learmonth will be riding the same motorcycle he raced in Competition Bike last season at Perth Motorplex, though the Pro Stock Motorcycle regulations are slightly more liberal.

“We have made a few changes, the main one is the bike is 23 kilograms lighter and I have lost seven kilograms as well – that weight is a big difference to running in Competition Bike,” he said.

Despite it being his first time amongst some of the quickest naturally aspirated motorcycles in the country, Learmonth said they are not travelling to be first round cannon fodder.

“Our main goal is to win, I think there’s no point going there aiming for second,” he said. “Our focus is on winning but we know we still have a lot to learn and we have never raced there before so we have no data to tune from.

“Our other goal is improving our personal bests which are 7.51sec. and 283kmh and with the weight difference we are confident on bettering those times if the weather is good.”

An aspect of professional competition that will take getting used to is the ‘one flash’ starting light sequence, as opposed to the three bulb countdown that is used in sportsman racing.

“I have never raced with a pro tree so that’s going to be a challenge within itself,” he said. “We believe we have the power to make it all the way but it all has to come together on race day.”

Learmonth explained that the team was heading into Adelaide with open eyes, ready for anything.

“I have been told lots of different things about the track surface but as all drag racers know every day brings new challenges,” he said.

“So I have set the bike up where I think we will get down the track and then we will see where we are at.”

{fcomment}

Aeroflow Performance Parts Catalogue
FREE DOWNLOAD

Drag News Magazine