It’s open season for Willowbank Raceway

This article brought to you by:

KenRice280115

Local drag racers will fire their first shots of anger for 2015 at Willowbank Raceway this weekend when the first round of the Street Series hits the track on Saturday (31 January).

While on-track action at the Ipswich venue has been underway all month with a full Test ‘n’ Tune program, this Saturday’s event will signal the opening of the competitive season at what is Queensland’s premier drag racing facility.

Racers across three categories of ‘street vehicle-based’ competition will take to the track to compete for Street Sedan, Street Bike and Powder Puff (ladies only) accolades.

Leading the way on two wheels will be 2014 Street Bike champion Ken Rice, who took out victory last year in his debut Street Series season aboard his Harley Davidson.

“I am really looking forward to getting back on the track and hopefully I can at least win a couple of races each round and hopefully make it into the top eight once again. There are a lot of good racers set to run this year though, so anything could happen!” said the 58 year old Process Manager of Churchill.

“I will be running the same bike as 2014 in the 2015 Street Series and I really hope we can see a couple of Harleys in the finals again – especially if one is mine! We haven’t made any changes to the bike at all over the off-season as we feel we are onto a good thing, and we also have plans in the works for getting a new bike on the track later in the year for the Modified Bike category (in the Queensland Drag Racing Championships).

“The Street Series provides a good show with good close racing and I know I am joined by all of my fellow competitors in encouraging people to come out and have a look at the show we put together, and to consider getting involved themselves – it is a great series to watch and be involved in.”

As the entry level competition for aspiring drag race champions, the Street Series provides an accessible and affordable option for Car and Motorcycle racers who wish to prove their mettle on the race track.

JoshFletcher280115

Reigning Street Sedan champion Josh Fletcher will be on-track chasing his sixth Street Series title.

“The Street Series provides an affordable entry-level opportunity for local racers, allowing them to enjoy themselves on the race track in their street-based car or bike,” said Willowbank Raceway CEO Tony Manson.

“It is easy to get started, and you can be as serious or relaxed about it as you like while being part of an organised, safe and highly competitive racing series created around what they love – showing what their vehicle can do on the race track.

“I can’t wait to see what our local heroes have in store for us this year – there are sure to be a lot of returning as well as new faces on the track as we officially kick off our competitive season.”

Those interested in learning more about becoming involved in drag racing and the Street Series can learn more by clicking here

Saturday’s Street Series event will kick off with time trials from 4.30pm to 6.30pm, with racing from 7.00pm. Competitor entry is just $45 for both the racer and one other adult. Spectator entry is available at the gate for just $20.00 for adults and $18.00 for students with ID. Children aged 13 years and under gain free admission. For more information, visit www.willowbankraceway.com.au

BelindaBrockhurst280115

Belinda Brockhurst will be leading the way for the ladies as the 2014 Powder Puff champion.

The second round of the Street Series will be held on Saturday 28 February, with plenty of action in store between now and then including Race-A-Mate (6 February), the opening round of the Queensland Drag Racing Championships (14 February) and Nostalgia Drag Racing (22 February), as well as a host of Test ‘n’ Tune events where anyone is able to come along and try their luck against their friends. For more information on upcoming events, please visit www.willowbankraceway.com.au. To view the full 2015 Willowbank Raceway calendar, please click here.

Aeroflow Performance Parts Catalogue
FREE DOWNLOAD

Drag News Magazine