Chris Farrell chasing Modifed glory in first season

This article brought to you by:

air140315 227

Chris Farrell finds himself in an enviable position in the Summit Racing Equipment Sportsman Series as the season heads for a gigantic finale at the Fuchs Winternationals June 4-7 at Willowbank Raceway.

Currently occupying third place in the ANDRA Modified championship, Farrell is the direct beneficiary of the absence of both joint leader Simon Barlow and Round 1 winner Jasmine Ryan while Mark Allan has not competed outside of his division ruling him out of claiming the number one.

While a string of Victorian racers sit on 80 points ready to pounce, Farrell remains the most likely challenger to Michelle Osborn with just 20 points the difference heading into the championship showdown.

“I am in an interesting position and more than aware of where I’m sitting in the points,” Farrell said. “Very excited and very much looking forward to giving it my best shot.

“Being my first year in Modified I guess you could say I’m lucky to be sitting where I am points-wise and Simon and Jasmine being unable to attend makes it even more lucky for me.”

Farrell will front up alongside 40 other competitors ensuring several cutthroat elimination rounds will keep the title alive for anyone on 80 points making a run to the final.

Although Farrell has the championship on his mind he is determined to make the most of the trip north by attending the Winters Warm Up on May 31 and spending the week in Queensland.

“It is a huge Modified field with a lot of great people and very competitive racers as far as pressure goes. I just like to take it one round at a time and hopefully get through a few rounds – fingers crossed.

“I have changed the converter from a spragless to spragged as I had a heap of slip at Adelaide, other than that (its) just normal maintenance and polish etc.

“I had it all ready for Sydney but as we all know, the weather Gods weren’t playing the game. Hopefully for everyone’s sake we have some sunshine for the Winters.

“I’ve entered the Winters Warm Up on Sunday (May 31) and Jenny (wife) and I will be staying at the track until the main event the following weekend, so should be all relaxed and ready to rock and roll.”

The Fuchs Winternationals featuring over 500 racers across the six ANDRA Drag Racing Series Group One categories and 12 Summit Racing Equipment Sportsman Series brackets from all over the country take over Willowbank Raceway June 4-7.

Tickets are on sale online now – including discounted pre-purchase only tickets. Looking to bring the family? Don’t forget that children aged 13 and under gain free admission, while students with ID and Concession Card Holders can access discounted entry (terms and conditions apply).

Aeroflow Performance Parts Catalogue
FREE DOWNLOAD

Drag News Magazine