Master class to motor at Willowbank

This article brought to you by:

Willowbank Raceway is pleased to announce a new concept in Street Series racing at the Ipswich facility – the Mid Week Masters.

Drivers over 40 years of age can use their own vehicle to compete against the clock, other drivers, or even their mates on one of the world’s fastest drag strips, in the new monthly series that will get started on September 15th (see below for calendar of upcoming dates).

Willowbank Raceway Managing Director Steve Bettes said the new concept was about providing an opportunity for those more experienced in life to let their hair down and have some fun on the race track on a day amongst their peers.

“The Mid Week Masters is all about having a monthly series that means that over 40s can come and race their own car against their friends on the drag strip, at a low cost,” said Bettes.

“The day would start in mid-morning with a briefing of what the day is about, and for the newcomers, a introduction to what drag racing is all about.

“This would be followed by qualifying during the morning, with lunch supplied followed by racing in the afternoon with trophies awarded to the winners.”

Grandmother Christine Kilmister has been drag racing for 10 years, starting off in the Street Series and now racing in the Rocket All Stars Racing Series in the Super Street category. At the age of 62 and with many event wins under her belt, she is relishing seeing the new concept up and running.

“I am really looking forward to seeing the Mid Week Masters concept in action, as I think it is a great idea to give me and other people my age the chance to race against their mates and other more mature people in a relaxed environment,” said Kilmister.

“What a great way to experience the racing thrills while making some new mates too, and you can compete in just your every day car!

“Even though I have been racing for a while, I would also be quick to tell people that you don’t need experience to take part in concepts like the Mid Week Masters – the track will teach you everything you need to know and before long you will be hooked, trust me!

“Drag racing is not just a young persons sport, we need more mature people, especially more ladies – at the moment we have three ladies including myself racing in the Super Street category and we are all grandmothers and people are always surprised, but I think you are never too old to do something you love.

“I don’t mind racing against the older blokes either, it’s nice to beat the boys! I really hope that people take the chance to come out and have a look and get involved in this new idea, as I think this is going to be a great concept.”

All participants need to compete is their car, a long sleeve shirt and long pants, covered shoes and an approved helmet, which helmets also available from the track for use on the day.

For more information or to register your interest, please contact Peter Bevan, Willowbank Raceway Operations Manager, on 0457 827 467 or on peter@willowbank-raceway.com.au.

For full details of upcoming events at Willowbank Raceway, please visit www.willowbankraceway.com.au

UPCOMING MID WEEK MASTERS DATES:
Wednesday September 15th, 2010
Wednesday October 6th, 2010
Wednesday November 10th, 2010
Wednesday December 8th, 2010
Wednesday February 9th, 2011
Wednesday March 9th, 2011

Aeroflow Performance Parts Catalogue
FREE DOWNLOAD

Drag News Magazine