Strong performances from Camilleri and Walford lead Adelaide Aeroflow qualifying

This article brought to you by:

DanielCamilleri140314

Daniel Camilleri only needed one run to go two tenths under the National Record for DD/GA in qualifying to sit atop the Super Comp standings after two sessions in Round 4 of the Aeroflow Sportsman Drag Racing Championship.

It was a beautiful night at Adelaide International Raceway and Camilleri produced the goods over the 1000 foot distance despite pedalling at mid-track posting 6.347 on a 6.95 index.

Camilleri said he was happy with how the Pontiac was running choosing to save the motor as much as possible ahead of a busy few months.

“We didn’t do the second run because the car went really well, we were happy with the first run,” he said. “I thought the track might have gone off but it seemed to get better so I probably should have gone out.”

“Hopefully we’ll go faster (tomorrow), we’ll definitely run the next two qualifiers and work on it a bit more but we’re just trying to save the runs on the motor because we’ve got so much racing over the next couple of months.”

“I think the weather will change, that’s another reason I chose not to run the second qualifier because tomorrow the track is different, the conditions, everything is different. I’m not going to learn anything about the track later tonight; I’d rather go and spend the time tomorrow.”

Behind Camilleri in the top 5 are Darren Parker (6.17 on a 6.62), Craig Geddes (6.24 on a 6.66), Mario Barbon (6.949 on a 7.35) and Steve Norman (6.282 on a 6.62).

DarrylWalford140314

In Supercharged Outlaws Darryl Walford top qualified as the only driver going into the fives on a 5.513 with his nearest rival, Diona Day, sitting on an even 6.000.

Walford said he has the clutch working off the line and isn’t being aggressive to get out past the 660 foot marker.

“That seems to be working well and after the second run it’s proven that and I’m pretty consistent,” said Walford.

“I’m hoping the weather will be pretty much the same (tomorrow), I’m not going to worry about tomorrows qualifiers. The car is consistent and we’ve got data from this afternoon and tonight so if we get through the rounds the car should be pretty much the same.”

“We’ve got plenty left in it but we don’t need to push it any harder. I’m pretty close to the cut off so that leaves me a bit of fat to play with so I know I can wind her up a little bit more if I have to but I don’t think so, I’m pretty consistent so I’d rather leave it at that and hopefully we cut some good lights.”

Walford is joined by Diona Day (6.000), Mark Kuhn (6.006), Peter Datsun (6.021) and Ryan Van Dyk (6.025) to round out the top 5.

In other results Leanne Braggs (7.392) leads the field in Modified, Larry Piscioneri (7.992) sits first in Super Sedan, Niki Zakrzewski (9.172) is on top in Modified Bike, Jason Young (11.009) leads Super Street, Dylan Argent (8.074) is first in Junior Dragster and Johnny Ienco (9.909) leads Super Gas.

Qualifying for Round 4 of the Aeroflow Sportsman Drag Racing Championship picks up again on Saturday from 9:00am.

Images by Bob Taylor

{fcomment}

Aeroflow Performance Parts Catalogue
FREE DOWNLOAD

Drag News Magazine