Super Compact Championship sinking in for Matt Lisle

This article brought to you by:

MattLisle AAOM 1777 071115 49

It was a weekend of mixed emotions for Matt Lisle at the ANDRA Championship Grand Final in Adelaide last weekend.

At first, Lisle was more concerned with not finishing the event in the way it had begun.

Coming into the season decider, Lisle had a stranglehold on the Summit Racing Equipment Sportsman Series Super Compact Championship. A 7.931 second pass in his first qualifier was enough to take top spot and essentially secure the title.

With two engine saving rounds where he was afforded the luxury of accepting the green when Tony Grgich didn’t front and a solo fell his way, you were forgiven for thinking he would cruise to a Grand Final win.

But that wasn’t to be.

“We went to Adelaide with a goal, we did top qualify and it was like the plan was coming together but we did have some troubles and just didn’t have the package to take it to the Dyson brothers in the final,” said Lisle.

“We were told we had won the Championship prior to running the final but with the thrash to get car together it really didn’t sink in. And after losing the final I was bummed about our performance.

“All the what if, should have, could have and would have thoughts crept in.

It wasn’t really until I got home I said to Phil, we are number 1!”

The feels of disappointment were washed away in that moment as Lisle realised he is now the Summit Racing Equipment Sportsman Series Super Compact Champion – an ANDRA Gold Christmas Tree to match the gold Mazda R27.

“To be an Australian Champion feels like all the hard work over the years has finally paid off.

It was my first time in Adelaide and you hear this and that about the track but we found the track to be really tight straight off in Q1.

The conditions were awesome and unfortunately we over estimated the track in Q2 as the weather started to cool off in the evening.

“We can run the number #1 on the car for the next year and thanked Phil and Tim as I could never have done it with out them.

“I sent a text to my ex wife and my Dad and told them I’d finally done it – I was Australian Champion.

“And though I’dd said after I’d won one, I’d be able to happily stop racing I now want to back it up and win some more!”

ANDRA congratulates Matt and his team on a well-deserved achievement and look forward to seeing him defend the number 1 next season.

Aeroflow Performance Parts Catalogue
FREE DOWNLOAD

Drag News Magazine