The Bug is back

This article brought to you by:

The popular former Bourbon Bug of Simon Holgerson is heading back to the track in the near future with new owner Shawn Taskis.

“I purchased the car 2 years ago from Simon Holgerson, the car was near complete minus blower, hat and fuel system,” said Taskis.

The car has been refurbished with a new look.

“I wanted to change the look of the car so as to bring it back on the track with a new fresh look, so I decided to go with a Herbie inspired color scheme, which I think looks the part, I wanted it to appeal to all ages as to make the car more appealing to sponsors,” he said.

Shawn has been racing and wheelstanding his nitrous Capri at Sydney Dragway in recent years in preparation of stepping into a blown seven second outlaw sedan.

“The basic plan was to build the car as I could afford to do so whilst I was racing my 347ci NOS Capri in Super sedan,” he said.

“I built the Capri as a car to learn to drive in, it started as a high ten second car then by tweaking a few things and adding NOS to the mix it was running mid 9’s.

“But nearing the completion of the VW I decided to sell the Capri as a roller, since all that I have now relocated from Albury NSW to Brisbane QLD.”

Look for the VW back on track during the first half of next year as Taskis has nearly completed the rebuild.

“I still have a few things left to finish on the VW before I debut it on the track, I need to upgrade the fire system, change and clean up a few things on the interior and move the buttons, switches and controls to where they are more suited to me,” he said.

The car again will be run in Supercharged Outlaws when completed.

“I find Supercharged Outlaws is my favourite category to watch other than Doorslammer,” he said.

“I like the fact that it is a 32 car field, the class is starting to get a lot of cars in the bigger events so I want to run the car consistent and not hurt too much, so we plan to run the car in the low to mid 7’s rather than try and ring its neck.”

The car will be at the Queensland Hot Rod show in November on display for anyone interested in a closer look.

Aeroflow Performance Parts Catalogue
FREE DOWNLOAD

Drag News Magazine