fbpx

Don't miss a thing from Drag News Magazine.

Email Address

Brought to you by

Forgot password? | Forgot username?
  • Index
  • » Users
  • » Nathan

18-03-14 09:58:54
Category: General Discussion
Forum: The Bench

Great feed back from all.
What my thoughts were, are to leave the rules alone, simply drop the ET. If your car runs quicker than 10.99 the current ANDRA rules for that car and licence apply. If your car runs slower then the current rules apply.

If you had a 10.00 cut off then the cars that are street cars with no delay boxes trans brakes ect have a level playing field to race. It was not that long ago that a 11 sec street car was one hell of a quick street car, today we have a huge number of street cars running in the 10's. Please pull me up if I am wrong but I thought Super Street was a street car bracket to an extent. No huge budgets, no electronics, just run what you brung.

Nathan

14-03-14 08:22:37

Rodger, thanks for your thoughts and comments on this. Over the past few months I have spoken to a number of SST racers, SSA racers and officials, past and present. So far most people are all for it BUT as it is a change that affects SST more than SSA I am wanting to talk to and hear from more SST racers.

I certainly would not be putting in a submission that was going to have a detrimental affect on the class you guys race in. If a submission was to be put forward to ANDRA it would need to have the backing of SST.

Regards
Nathan

13-03-14 12:40:16

Thanks for the feed back and info regarding the Super Street licence. As you mentioned, the rules for safety could be left as they are. Like super sedan, the race is the same but obviously the quicker your car goes the more you need. With dropping the cut off to 10.00 the speed difference would not be that huge between cars, As I said in my first post in super sedan I have been passed at 200 mph while I am at 130. Having a 10 second car along side a 11 second car is much safer than a 6 second car along side a 10 second car.
Would love to hear from others on their thoughts.

Nathan

13-03-14 08:12:35

Thanks for the detailed reply Tex.
The reason I posted this was to get comments and thoughts from Super Street racers. Please remember I am only fairly new to the sport have have only been racing for a few years now, Its the opinions of guys like you and Chevy that have been running this class successfully for years that I was looking for. Over the past month or so I have spoken to a number of very successful Super street racers who have been all for it. To be honest what I am looking for is a down side. The last thing I would want to do is start something that would or could turn out to be detrimental to the Super Street class and racers.

The licence issue you have bought up is a very valid point, would it be possible to leave it as is, meaning, cars that run 11.00 seconds and slower Super Street and cars that run quicker that 10.99 must have the existing required licence? Same goes for the cars, leave the rules as they are, no cage  needed unless you run 10.99 or faster.

If you ask my opinion, all racers in any Andra class should have voting rights. I don't see the point in having a Andra licence and being part of Andra if you cant vote but everybody else can. I hate politics so I'll leave that at that.

Could the class be made to run 10.00-12.00?
How Many Super Street cars run slower than 12.00.
How many run low 11's and have even pushed into the tens?
What are/would be, the down sides to dropping the cut off to 10.00?

Again guys and girls, I am just looking for opinions and leaving this wide open for any discussion.

Regards
Nathan

11-03-14 08:42:56

All valid points guys and I take them on board. Don't take this the wrong way, i am certainly not trying to build a class to suite myself but as an example this is where I stand.

I have a ford Capri that I drive weekly, cruise around with the family in and enjoy the car show circuit, I also love my drag racing with a passion. I currently run in super sedan and have a ball in this class. The down side is I find it hard to be competitive as i don't want to fit a trans brake or delay box in my street car. I know I am not alone and talk to plenty of people with 10 second cars that don't race that much for the same reason. My thought was that if super street was dropped to a 10.00 cut off it would make the class larger with a number of current Super Sedan cars moving into it as well as cars that are not currently racing.

Super street is the class that the crowd relates to. Old school muscle cars, most of them driven on the street, Ford v's Holden , Chev v's Chrysler and so on.
Nathan

10-03-14 07:47:54

My thoughts on the safety side of things where leave it alone. If your car runs quicker then 10.99, you need a cage as per the andra rules. Does anyone know how long ago the 11.00 sec cut off for Super street was put in place?
Nathan

09-03-14 13:39:45

All good points mate, especially regarding un-caged cars running alongside much quicker cars.
The main reason I have bought it up is: There are a large number of street cars out there that run in the 10's that don't race or don't race on a regular basis. One of the reasons being that they, like myself don't want to fit trans-brakes, delay box's and so on to their "street cars". As you would have to agree to be competitive in the sub 11 sec class that is super sedan these electronic aids certainly make cars more consistent on both the tree and et.

As Andra has now allowed removable bolt in cages (that gets over the rego dramas) it would open the doors for a lot of new racers. Super sedan then becomes a category of 9 sec cars and would make for some close and exciting racing. Super Street then becomes what it is called, Street.

Andra rules remain the same as for safety and cages, no need to change them. I couldn't agree with you more Chevy on your concern for safety but I have raced in my 10 sec Capri street car and been overtaken at over 200 miles per hour by Campo and the Fowlers. Remember at the moment there are 5 and 6 second cars running in Super Sedan at national events and they run along side a 10 second car like myself.

There are plenty of super street cars out there today that are capable of a 10 sec pass and we have all seen them do it. I am just interested in other racers thoughts, may be I have missed something and there is a good reason to leave it as it is. But from where I sit there seems to be a gap in our category's.
Nathan

09-03-14 10:55:45

Just wondering what peoples thoughts are on dropping the cut off to 10.00 for super street??????????????
Same rules, same race, just quicker cars.
Nathan

07-06-13 08:33:39
Category: DNA Newsbits
Forum: NewsBits

4.72/312

23-04-13 08:42:30
Category: Technical

Thanks Tex.
I read the same and as it states I can fit a high back seat that can remain in the car as a street car. What I was trying to avoid was putting seats in and out each time I race and limiting the times I can drive the car to the track.
Once again Tex thanks for your help.
P.S Did you notice my new wheels?
Nathan

22-04-13 18:27:02
Category: Technical

Hi all.
Last weekend I was picked up by the track staff and andra on the low back seat fitted to my Capri.
They have instructed me to fit a high back seat to the car wich I dont have a problem with, safety first. My question is can it be a Recaro style seat or does it have to be a one piece Kirky, Jaz style. The car is fully road registered and we drive to and from the track when posible. It currently runs in the 10.30's at 131mph.

Thanks for your help.
Regards
Nathan

22-04-13 18:20:55
Ron Capps coming to Australia?

Bring the Force sisters over for it.
Nathan

31-03-13 09:41:48

chevytaylor wrote:

We can come on here to this great site and make comment, some helpful some not so helpful, mine included, but at the end of the day when it all boils down nitro burning top fuel drag racing is the most amazing motor sport on the planet. Having TF not run at the up and coming Nitro Champs is frustrating and confusing for many. We are all in this together from TF right down to JD. I personally think this is a huge opportunity to sell and show the drag racing excitement to future customers gone begging. Our sport is entertainment with TF being the flagship and should be sold to the customer as an experience they just can not live any longer without seeing. The current marketing methods are just not working. Should ANDRA and all the other players take a look at the NHRA and see how they do things over in the States? I am looking forward to what Bruce has to say.

X2

19-11-12 19:16:19
Forum: Track Talk

Pros: The best sedan action in the country. The fastest street cars in Australia, the most insane wheel standing cars you will see, the most imaculate street and drag cars on the planet, everything from N/A through to blown, twin turbo, nos you name it, its going to be there.

Cons: you have to drive from Canberra to see it.

12-11-12 21:25:50
Forum: What's on

Entry list is now up on the Sydney dragway site. Looking like being a great day of racing with somthing for everyone.
Full throttle Friday, Rocket day Saturday, ANFA night Saturday Night and then Nostalgia drags on Sunday. Think I have just blown all my brownie points.
Who else from here is going?
Nathan

• Index
  • » Users
  • » Nathan

Board Info

Board Stats

Total Topics:
Total Polls:
Total Posts:
User Info

Total Users: