Top Sportsman Grand Final showdown begins

This article brought to you by:

dbd2dec8 0a34 4e5a 8fe6 8a8ec17aa70d

No less than five racers are in the box seat to take the Top Sportsman title at the final round of the Summit Racing Equipment Sportsman Series this weekend (March 23-24).

Amongst them is local racer Greg Damiani. The self-employed farmer from Gawler River in South Australia is looking forward to doing battle on his home-track, but doesn’t feel like he can expect any advantage from that fact.

“I don’t necessarily feel like I have an advantage over the out-of-town guys as I have seen these guys continually make the finals at every track we visit,” said the 42-year-old.

Along with Jason Arbery, Vlado Turic, Chris Theo and Darren Nichele, Damiani holds the maximum 300 points heading to this weekend’s Grand Final.

“It was an amazing effort at the last round for Chris Theo to take the win in Perth and for Darren Nichele, with their results seeing both of them join Jason, Vlado and myself on max points ahead of the Grand Final,” Damiani said.

“I can’t see the championship being decided in the early rounds of racing this weekend – with the quality of drivers in contention, one or two will most likely make it to the final so it could come down to the very last race.

“When it comes to the question of whether I think I will win – every time I pull up to the line I believe I am going to win, if I didn’t, I probably wouldn’t race.

“One thing I do know for sure is there is no charity in Top Sportsman, you have to be on your game every single race because the entire field are gun bracket racers!”

Damiani began his drag racing career in the Super Street bracket in 2013.

“I would like to thank my major sponsor, The Mitolo Group – with their sponsorship I have been able to make my car competitive and also be able to travel, which is why I have been able to get the maximum 300 points,” Damiani explained.

“I also need to thank my crew Adrian, Anthony and Shayne; Gawler Body Works and VP Race Fuels and Oils; and send a special thank you to Brett from Gawler Mechanical Repairs and Peter from PG Automotive – although I do all of the work on my car myself, Brett and Peter have always given me their time and help anytime I have asked and I really appreciate that.

The final round of the 2017/2018 Summit Racing Equipment Sportsman Series will be held at Adelaide International Raceway across March 23-24. For more information, visit www.andra.com.au and www.adelaidedragracepromotions.com.au

Image by Outlaw Images

Aeroflow Performance Parts Catalogue
FREE DOWNLOAD

Drag News Magazine