Johnny’s nervous wait for number one

This article brought to you by:

JohnKapiris-AIRSummitGrandFinal-carollange-web

Already a three-time consecutive Super Sedan Champ, John Kapiris went into the ANDRA Championship Grand Final in Adelaide aiming to make Super Sedan history.

Is he could successfully defend his crowd yet again, he would become the first Super Sedan racer to win four titles in a row and the first Sportsman racer of any bracket to win four or more Championships in a row since Graeme Silk achieved five successive Modified Championships between 1982-1986.

It ended up being a very nervous wait as the usually consistent Kapiris level on 300 points with George Tipouikidis entering the final round, was eliminated by Lance Larcombe in Round 2 of eliminations.

Tipouikidis himself had already been sent packing in Round 1 but the ace in the pack was the quiet achiever Steve Hunt.

The underdog went about his business round by round in an effort to make up a 100 point deficit by winning the event and with it the Summit Racing Equipment Sportsman Series Super Sedan Championship.

“Sitting and waiting wasn’t a good feeling at all knowing that I had done the best I have ever done that season with three round wins, two semi finals, two quarter finals,” said Kpairis.

“And that’s the first time I haven’t had it won before I was out.”

Hunt went very close in the final against good friend Michael Jennings but heartbreakingly lost on a tiny one thousandth of a second holeshot handing Kapiris his fourth consecutive Championship.

“It was mixed emotions when I had won, I was relieved that I had won and then knowing I just made the history books once again as the first to win four Super Sedan Championships, and also doing it in a row,” added Kapiris.

“The biggest thanks have to go out to all my sponsors, without these people I wouldn’t be able to afford to do what I do and run as many meetings.

“Also a thank you to all my mates that I class as my drag racing family that I speak to on a weekly basis, they all know who they are.

“Goals for the following season are to try and do as good and if not better – I know there will be a time that the number #1 sticker will come of the Aliti Racing HQ but as long as I know I have given it 110 per cent that’s all that matters in my eyes.”

{fcomment}

Aeroflow Performance Parts Catalogue
FREE DOWNLOAD

Drag News Magazine