Loud and obnoxious suits supercharged Mullins

This article brought to you by:

People have many different reasons for choosing to go drag racing, with some racers looking to scare themselves silly while others are driven by the competition.

For Supercharged Outlaws racer Darryl Mullins it is more simple. “It is loud, fast and extremely addictive,” he said.

Mullins has positioned himself strongly in the first part of the Perth Motorplex season, leading the points series from Jodie Mellitt and Norbert Claite after two rounds. With the third round approaching as part of this Saturday’s WA Drag Racing Championship featuring the Super Sportsman Showdown, Mullins is hopeful of the pattern continuing.

“With a win in the A Final at the opening meeting, we started the season on a great note,” he said. “The second event started off with a few issues, but we finished up winner of the B Final and hit a new personal best time in eliminations, so we couldn’t have been happier.”

That new personal best was a 6.61sec. clocking at 336kmh, making Mullins’ Funny Car one of the quickest rides in the Supercharged Outlaws field right now.

“As a team we are starting to get a handle on this blown (supercharged) combo and as a driver my confidence is growing,” he said. “Supercharged Outlaws are loud and obnoxious and the best way to go blown racing on a budget. Because of the handicapping system, you don’t have to have the fastest car to win.”

Mullins has one eye over his shoulder as his opponents target him for the lead, but is confident that by working on his driving and continuing to refine the car, he can stay ahead.

“It’s a very tough field, and I think Norbert will be a tough competitor as the season goes on,” he said. “I am always looking to improve my reaction times and we are overcoming a few gearbox issues and tyre shake after the last round, so we are hoping to keep the car consistent and ready for each event. With the support from our sponsors Phillips 66, Allfast Torque Converters, Prestige Classics and countless hours from our crew, we are confident we can make this happen.”

Mullins will be joined by over one hundred other drag racing teams this Saturday for the third round of the WA Drag Racing Championships. Qualifying begins from 11am with the feature program commencing from 5.30pm.

Aeroflow Performance Parts Catalogue
FREE DOWNLOAD

Drag News Magazine