Loy rides momentum to Warwick 1/8th mile event

This article brought to you by:

Warwick racer Matthew Loy is riding a wave of momentum in the Junior Dragster category currently, and is hoping to keep the ride going at Warwick Raceway this weekend.

Loy has been busy chalking up results recently on his way to competing in the Diamond T Products Junior Dragster category of the Queensland Street Car Magazine Eighth Mile Series at Warwick Raceway on May 14.

The grade ten student of Warwick High School took his first major event win at Willowbank Raceway’s Top Fuel Championships at the end of March, and followed that up with a runner-up finish at Sydney Dragway’s Nitro Championships.

The two final appearances at major events on the Australian drag racing calendar have the reigning Eighth Mile Series Junior Dragster Champion buoyed with confidence heading into this weekend’s second round.

“It has been pretty awesome to take the win at the Top Fuel Championships in March and then follow that up with a runner-up result at Sydney’s Nitro Champs,” said Loy.

“They are two big events for drag racing and to make it to two finals in a row is pretty cool.

“Things have just really started coming together for us and hopefully we can keep that momentum going as we go to round two of the eighth mile series at our home track of Warwick.

“We are the defending champions for the Junior Dragster category, and while round one at Willowbank earlier this year didn’t exactly go to plan for me we are hoping to make up for it in the next few meets so we can hopefully make it back to back titles.”

Loy racing is a family effort, with Matthew making special mention of his dad, mum and sister for all their help.

“I really have to thank my dad John, my mum Jenny and my sister Brittany for all their help at the track, we do this together and it has been great to be getting the results for all their work,” said Loy.

“I also need to thank my sponsors as to have their support is really important to us, Warwick Panel and Paint and FG Loys and Sons Earthmoving have been a great help to us and hopefully more results will be coming their way soon!”

Joining Loy and his fellow Diamond T Products Junior Dragster racers on track at Warwick Raceway will be competitors from the JP Racing Super Sedan, John William Auto Sales Super Street, QLD Numberplate Group Modified Bike, RD Williams Excavator Parts Modified and FG Loy & Sons Earthmoving Classic classes.

The Queensland Street Car Magazine Eighth Mile Series will include three rounds of racing plus a Grand Finale, hosted by each track on a rotational basis year by year.

Following this weekend’s racing at Warwick Dragway on the 14th of May, round three will take place at Benaraby Dragway on the 9th of July. The Grand Finale will then take place at Ironbark Raceway on the 24th of September 2011.

Special winner and runner-up trophies will be available for each bracket at each round, with the Grand Finale to see a special winner trophy plus $750 prizemoney awarded to the highest point score of each bracket, and a special runner-up trophy and $250 prize money to go to the second highest point scorer of each bracket.

For more information on the 2011 Queensland Street Car Magazine Eighth Mile Drag Racing Series, including details on how to enter and race rules, visit www.willowbankraceway.com.au

Aeroflow Performance Parts Catalogue
FREE DOWNLOAD

Drag News Magazine